Monday, November 15, 2010

What Does Reid Weingarten Know and When Did He Know It?

The following is the text of an email message I sent to Reid Weingarten, Esq. at the law firm of Steptoe & Johnson on June 4, 2009. Mr. Weingarten did not reply.

Mr. Weingarten:

I forward an email I received from former U.S. Attorney General Dick Thornburgh (1988-91).  Apparently, Governor Thornburgh did not believe my civil rights complaint was frivolous or nonmeritorious.

GARY FREEDMAN, ESQ.
202 362 7064
_____________________________________________

Dear Mr. Freedman:

Thank you for your inquiry. Upon review of this matter, I find that we are not equipped to handle your case on a pro bono basis.

Sincerely, Dick Thornburgh
_______________
Dick Thornburgh K&L Gates LLP
1601 K Street, N.W. 7th Floor
Washington, DC 20006-1600
Phone: 202-778-9080
Fax: 202-778-9100
email: dick.thornburgh@klgates.com

-----Original Message-----

From: garfreed@aim.com
To: rweingarten@steptoe.com
Sent: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 1:47 pm
Subject: Federal Civil Rights Complaint

Mr. Reid Weingarten
Steptoe & Johnson
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. Weingarten:

I am writing to inquire into pro bono representation in the following employment discrimination/federal civil rights matter. The pertinent issues are detailed in the attached email that I have forwarded to the U.S. Department of Justice. As a threshold issue, I seek counsel on how to proceed with this matter: either through the Justice Department, Civil Rights Division or a civil lawsuit. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to hearing from you or someone at Steptoe & Johnson.

GARY FREEDMAN
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment 136
Washington, DC 20008
202 362-7064

-----Original Message-----

From: garfreed@aim.com
To: askDOJ@usdoj.gov
Sent: Mon, 11 May 2009 2:56 pm
Subject: Civil Rights Complaint

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division

Dear Sir:

I was a victim of a federal civil rights violation committed by the Metropolitan Police of the District of Columbia (MPDC), on October 12, 2004. The violation is a continuing one. I am prevented from seeking employment and invoking my rights as a disabled American because of intimidation by the MPDC. If I disclose the full nature of my disability to a prospective employer I risk arrest or commitment to a mental hospital. The action of the MPDC violates my constitutionally-protected right to seek employment. Doe v. Bredesen, U.S. Dist. Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, at Nashville: "Right to Seek Employment . . .  While no Supreme Court decision has expressly found the right to work, or at least the right to pursue employment, to be a fundamental right, it can hardly be concluded otherwise." The following letter details the matter.

November 2, 2004
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment 136
Washington, DC 20008

The Honorable Charles Ramsey
Chief of Police
300 Indiana Avenue, NW
Washington, DC

RE: Mental Disability -- Discrimination -- Police/FBI

Dear Chief Ramsey:

I am writing to you, Chief Ramsey, to apprise the Office of Chief of Police of a serious police matter that arose in the second district on October 12, 2004. Underlying the police matter is an issue of discrimination involving the DC Office of Corporation Counsel.

[The remainder of the text of the letter to Chief Ramsey can be found on another post on this blog.]

No comments: